This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
South-western township of Thayetmyo District, Burma, lying between 18 degree 52' and 19 degree 18' N. and 94 degree 39' and 95 degree 13' E., and extending from the Irrawaddy in the east to the Arakan Yoma on the west. The area of the township, which is intersected by low hills, is 575 square miles, and it contains 201 villages. The population in 1891 was 41,383, and in 1901, in consequence of emigration to the delta, it had fallen to 39,570 (including 2,500 Chins). The head- quarters are at Kama (population, 1,779), a village situated on low hills on the right or western bank of the Irrawaddy. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 50 square miles, paying Rs. 53,000 land revenue.