This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
South-western township of the Upper Chindwin District, Upper Burma, lying along the eastern slopes of the Chin Hills, be- tween 22 degree 40' and 23 degree 41' N. and 93 degree 58' and 94 degree 16' E., with an area of 816 square miles. The population in 1901 was 10,691, distributed in 94 villages, Kalemyo (population, 881), on the Myittha stream, about 20 miles from its mouth, being the head-quarters. The town- ship, which possesses a pestilential climate, consists of the valleys of the Myittha and its tributary the Neyinzaya chaung, which flows past the village of Yazagyo in a southerly direction to meet it. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 34 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 34,000. The township was formed after the Census of 1901.