This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Western township of the Prome subdivision of Prome District, Lower Burma, lying in flat well-populated country between 18° 39' and 19° 6' N. and 95° 9" and 95° 36' E., with an area of 273 .square miles. The population decreased from 78,962 in 1891 to 68,591 in 1 90 1, but still averages more than 250 persons per scjuare mile. It is practically entirely Burman. There are 447 villages, the head-quarters being at Hmawza (population, 580), situated on the rail- way 5 miles east of Prome town. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was 125 square miles, paying Rs. 1,25,000 land revenue. The township was formerly known as Mahathaman.