This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the township of the same name in Tharrawaddy District, Lower Burma, situated in 18'^ 14' N. and 95° 40' E., on the Rangoon-Prome Railway, 109 miles from Rangoon. Population (1901), 6,030. The town suffers from scarcity of water in the dry season, but so far no systematic water-supply scheme has been started. It is one of the most important rice-trading centres on the Rangoon-Prome line of railway. It possesses one Anglo-vernacular and two vernacular private schools, two of which are aided by the municipality. Gyobingauk was constituted a municipality in 1894. The receipts and expenditure of the municipal fund to the end of 1900-1 averaged Rs. 24,000 and Rs. 22,000 respectively. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 41,000, including house and land tax (Rs. 3,400), and tolls on markets and slaughter-houses (Rs. 23,200). The expen- diture in the same year was Rs. 45,000, the principal items being- conservancy (Rs. 6,200), roads (Rs. 6/;oo), and hospitals (Rs. 3,000). The municipal hospital has eighteen beds.