Bahawalpur Tahsil, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters tahsil of the State and nizamatoi Bahawalpur, Punjab, lying south of the Sutlej, between 27 52' and 29 2,2> f N. and 71 19' and 72 36' E., with an area of 3,617 square miles. The population in 1901 was 91,954, compared with 90,031 in 1891. It contains the town of Bahawalpur (population, 18,546^, its head-quarters and the capital of the State; and 107 villages. The tahsil is traversed by the Hakra depression, south of which lies the desert. The north lies in the Sutlej riverain, and between this and the Hakra are the central uplands. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1905-6 to one lakh.