Badin Taluka, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Taluka in Hyderabad District, Sind, Bombay, lying between 24 13' and 24 58' N. and 68° 43' and 69° 16' E., with an area of 792 square miles. The population rose from 73,823 in 1891 to 84,790 in 1 90 1. The density is 103 persons per square mile, which is a little below the District average. The number of villages is 165. Land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 2-8 lakhs. Badin is the head-quarters. The taluka, which is triangular in shape, with its base on the Rann of Cutch, is flat, well watered, and an ideal grazing tract. The principal crops are rice and sugar-cane.