This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town and port in the Pattukkottai taluk of Tanjore District, Madras, situated in 10° 20' N. and 79 degree 23' E., with a station on the District board railway. It is called after Adivira Raman, the Pandya king (1562-1610). Population (1901), 10,494. It is the inmost and most protected point in the bay formed by the southern seaboard of the Tirutturaippundi taluk and the eastern seaboard of Pattukkottai.
A brisk trade is carried on with Ceylon; rice and coco- nuts are the principal exports, and gunny bags, areca-nuts, grain, and treasure the chief imports. The Musalman tribe of Labbais, who are active traders, are a numerous community in the place. There is a salt factory here, and also an old Siva temple containing inscriptions.