This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Kiraoli tahsil of Agra District, United Provinces, situated in 27 degree 10' N. and 77 degree 46' E., on the road from Agra city to Rajputana, and at the junction of the Rajputana-Malwa and Cawnpore-Achhnera Railways. Population (1901), 5,375.
The place first became of importance under the Jats in the eighteenth century, and a British tahsill was situated here from 1803 to 1832. It then declined, but has again prospered since it became a railway junction. Achhnera is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 1,200. The trade is largely local, but there is a cotton gin which employed 130 hands in 1903. The town contains a primary school with 85 pupils.