This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-eastern township of the Ngathainggyaung sub- division of Bassein District, Lower Burma, a level stretch of country intersected by tidal creeks, lying between 17° 8' and 17° 30' N. and 95° 9' and 95° 28' E., with an area of 292 square miles. It contains 466 villages, and the population was 50,002 in 1891, and 70,010 in 1 90 1. It is the most thickly populated township in the District, and its rate of increase during the decade has been far more rapid than that of any other portion. Kyonpyaw (population, 5,358), on the right bank of the Daga river, near the western border of the township, is the head-quarters. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 171 square miles (an increase of 45 per cent, in ten years), paying a land revenue of Rs. 2,29,000. The Inye Lake in this township is an important fishery, the lease of which fetches about Rs. 28,000 annually.