This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Township in Hanthawaddy District, Lower Burma, lying between 16° 30' and 16° 48^ N. and 96° 1 1' and 96° 37' E., along the lower reaches of the Rangoon river and the Gulf of Martaban, with an area of 403 square miles. Except for one low laterite ridge^ it is absolutely flat. The head-quarters are at the village of Kyauktan (population, 2,653), pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Hmawwun stream, 5 miles from its junction with the Rangoon river. Syriam (population, 1,961), historically the most interesting town in the District, lies in the west of the township. The township, as at present constituted, had a population of 52,065 in 1901, and contained 173 villages. A portion of the former area has been incorporated in the new township of Thongwa. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 237 square miles, payin.: Rs. 4,59,000 land revenue.