This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-eastern township of Katha District, Upper Burma, lying on both sides of the Irrawaddy, between 23° 53' and 24 degree 56' N. and 96 degree 10' and 96 degree 42' E., with an area of 1,152 square miles. The population was 18,783 in 1891, and 20,062 in 1901, distributed in 178 villages and one town, Katha (population, 2,931), the head-quarters. The greater portion of the township is covered with dense forests abounding in game. The inland villages obtain water for their rice lands from the network of small creeks covering the low-lying levels. The hilly parts to the north and west are inhabited by Kachins, who practise taungya cultivation. The cultivated area under supplementary survey in 1903-4 was ir square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 52,100.