This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Village in Delhi District, Punjab, occupying the site of the ancient Indraprastha, and situated in 28° 36' N. and 77° 17' E., close to the modern city of Delhi. The original town stood upon the banks of the Jumna, between the Kotila of Firoz Shah and the tomb of Humayun ; and although the river has now shifted its channel a mile eastward, the former bed may still be traced past the early site. Scarcely a stone of the ancient capital remains standing ; but the village of Indarpat and the Muhammadan fort of Purana Kila probably occup\- the true site, while the modern name is obviously a corruption of the old Hindu name. Indraprastha is commonly believed to have been founded by the earliest Aryan colonists of India : and the Mahabharata relates how the five Pandavas, Yudhi- shthira and his brethren, leading a body of settlers from Hastinapur on the danges, expelled the savage Nagas, and built their capital upon this sjjot. For later details see Delhi City.