This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Estate in Almora District, United Provinces, situated along the Kali river, comprising 142 villages with an area of 400 square miles. The land revenue payable to Government is Rs. 1,450, and the cesses amount to Rs. 232, while the rent-roll is about Rs. 4,200. The estate belongs to a SurajbansI Rajput, claiming descent from a younger branch of the Katyuri Rajas who once ruled Kumaun, and the head of the family bears the title of Rajwar. The Rajwars of Askot were conquered by the Chands, but were left in possession of their estate on payment of tribute. In 1845 the estate was settled with the village occupants as a zamindari in the plains ; but subsequently the whole estate was settled with the Rajwar, who may now extend cultivation to his own profit, but cannot interfere with the possessions of the permanent tenants, as recorded in the village papers.