This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
('the eight townships'). — The country on both banks of the Cauvery near Seringapatam, Mysore State, bestowed by the Hoysala king Vishnuvardhana, early in the twelfth century, on the Vaishnava reformer Ramanuja, by whom he had been converted from the Jain faith. The reformer appointed Brahmans to administer the tract, under the designation of Hebbars and Prabhus, settling them in eight towns. The chiefs of Nagamangala, probably descended from these, were put down at the end of the fifteenth century by the Vijaya- nagar king Narasinga, who took possession of Seringapatam. Under the Mysore kings the tract was formed into the Patna Ashtagram and Maisur Ashtagram taluks, the former to the north of the river and the latter to the south. In 1863 Mysore and Hassan Districts were con- stituted the Ashtagram Division, which was abolished in 1880.