Arrah Subdivision, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters subdivision of Shahabad District, Bengal, lying between 25 10' and 25 46' N. and 84 17' and 84 51/ E.j with an area of 913 square miles. The subdivision is a low-lying alluvial flat, bounded on the north by the Ganges and on the east by the river Son. The population in 1901 was 699,956, compared with 743,582 in 1891, the density being 767 persons to the square mile. It contains two towns, Arrah (population, 46,170), the head-quarters, and JagdIspur (11,451); and 1,245 villages, one of which, Bihiya, on the East Indian Railway, is an important trade centre. Arrah is famous on account of the gallant defence of the Judge's house by a handful of Europeans and Sikhs against an over- whelming force of mutineers in 1857.